Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Winner Winner, Long Beach It Is!

So I have been debating the last few weeks about whether to run a full marathon this fall. I did my first, the LA Marathon, in March of this year. I ran a decent time, but my competitive nature will just not let me end there. I had been contemplating running the Long Beach Marathon on October 17th. I ran the half there two years ago and would really love to run through the city and campus of my soon-to-be graduate school, Long Beach State. Then the decision got really easy for me...I won an entry to the marathon!! I would run the half again to try to wash the bad run I had there two years ago, but the full runs on the LB campus! So that was a no-brainer!

I have been running steadily since LA. Been averaging about 15-20 miles a week. I think this is probably a good base to start the marathon training at. A plan that I am using is to break 4 hours and starts next week. I'm not sure that the 4 hours is 100% attainable, but I want to get as close as possible. I'm also not going to be so strict about sticking exactly to the training plan. 16 weeks is a long time to train and I don't want to burn myself out. And with school starting in less than two months, I will have to be a little flexible. I like to have a little wiggle room. But no matter what I know that the long runs are important and will be sure to get those in. I also like that my plan includes hills in the beginning, and tempo runs at marathon pace towards the middle and end. The plan I am using is in the July 2010 issue of Runner's World.

My runs have felt a little sluggish lately. I have switched them to the mornings. Not sure if my body is not awake yet, or if it just fatigued from all the exercise. I have been going about 6 days a week for the last few weeks. Perhaps I need to make sure I get enough rest days.

I know the next few months are going to be challenging in many parts of my life, but I am excited and feel ready. I'll be sure to draw on what I learned during training for LA to help improve my time for Long Beach. Training starts Monday, June 28th ....here we go!!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on winning a free entry and signing up for the full!!! Woot Woot!! I think I'll be running either the half or 18 miles of the full-dont know yet...

    ReplyDelete